Retail Sales Associate
by Rishabh Chaturvedi
August 26, 2019
I am in retail to give the best to my customers
Retail Sales Associates are the core of Retail Operations and work at the frontline selling & servicing customers in retail outlets. From greeting customers to helping them with their queries to showing them the merchandise and explaining companies’ products, they are expected to deliver positive retail experience. Thus, selling and customer care are an integral part of this job. Retail Sales Associate may also require to process payments and keep the sales floor tidy and well-stocked.
- Greeting customers and resolving their queries.
- Ensuring proper & regular stocking and arrangement of the products.
- Directing customers to the relevant merchandise.
- Improving engagement with product merchandise.
- Providing in-depth product knowledge like features, benefits and encouraging cross-selling.
- Organizing back-fill of stock, performing inventory counts and replenishing front stock.
- Operating cash registers and processing the payment for the sale.
What are the qualifications employers look for in a prospective candidate for Retail Sales Associate?
Generally, employers give more importance to attitude and mindset rather than degrees or qualifications. However, the profile requires direct interaction with the customers, employers would like to judge the competence through following basic educational certificates:
- 10th Pass
- Certification in Retail Sales Skills
Retail Sales Associates are a direct link between retail-outlet and customer and act as a consultant for customers seeking advice and thus, employer looks for soft skills in their prospective employee which are stated as follows:
- Ability to communicate and interpersonal skills
- Demonstration of time management & grooming standard.
- Energetic, customer oriented and selling skill
Where are the jobs available?
Due to the growing number of retail outlets in every city, retail sales associates are in demand. Various retail outlets like Department Stores (Big Bazaar, DMart), Apparel outlets (Reliance trendz, FBB), Jewellery outlets (Tanishq, PCJ), Sporting outlets (Decathlon, Nike), Footwear outlets (Adidas, Reebok) and many more consistently look for good retail sales associates to engage more and more customers.
Do’s and Don’t for the job:
- Always be friendly and energetic
- Follow the company's procedures and policies
- Keep learning new skills
- Never be rude to the customer
- Stick to your expertise area.